Job Description Summary:
Assists Product Development Engineers and Engineering Manager of Upper Extremity Product Development with all aspects of the project from proposal to final design/release for assigned project by performing the following duties. Work with a cross-functional product team consisting of upper level product development engineers, marketing product managers, manufacturing engineers, regulatory and QA engineers in the design and development of surgical instruments and implants medical devices used in Total Shoulder Arthroplasty. Our Co-Op program requires a commitment to 3 alternating Co-Op periods/semesters (Spring, Fall, Summer or Summer, Spring, Fall).
Please note: We will need new co-ops starting in Summer of 2021, which would mean work semesters of Summer 2021, Spring 2022, and Fall 2022.
- Participates as an active member of the New Product Development Team:
- Assists to identify surgeon requirements and product characteristics.
- Confers with cross-function teams (by way of example and not exclusion, Manufacturing Engineering, Purchasing and Regulatory); accepts and completes tasks as assigned.
- Assists Product Development Engineers to create product designs and documentation used to substantiate those devices (i.e. risk assessments, verification / validation activities, design review documentation, etc)
- Uses 3-D Modeling to document designs and design changes
- Assists to complete the Design Dossier or Design History File
- Participates in surgeon meetings, focus groups and KOL (Key Opinion Leader) meetings.
- Assists Product Development Engineers and Engineering Manager of Upper Extremity Product Developmentwith New Product Development projects.
- Attends cadaver labs for learning purposes.
Additional Job Description
- Works with marketing and customer to develop conceptual designs, typically in the form of SLA models or metal prototypes of the product and present those designs back to customer for evaluations
- Maintains all documentation necessary for a Design History File (DHF), including Design Input Documents, Design Validation Plans/Reports, Test Protocols/Reports, and Design Input/Output Matrix.
- Develops project plans using appropriate planning software and periodically report on the progress of the project to upper management.
- Develops detail engineering drawings, CAD modeling and release through Design Change system.
- Works through internal prototype shop or contract through vendor on developing prototypes.
- Schedules and directs product team meetings as needed in absence of PD engineer; assuring timeliness of project execution.
- Maintains existing product lines and writes Design Change notices for general product improvement.
- Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
- Works under supervision with the Product Development Engineers and Engineering Manager of Upper Extremity Product Development.
- Performs other duties as assigned by other Product Development Engineers and Engineering Manager of Upper Extremity Product Development
- To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information.
- Design - Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management - Communicates changes and progress.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; varies writing style to meet needs; able to read and interpret written information. Writes detailed test protocols/reports.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions.
- Diversity - Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Judgment - Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
- Demonstrates commitment to the DJO Compliance & Ethics Program, the DJO Code of Conduct, the DJO Sales and Marketing Code of Conduct, the AdvaMed Code of Ethics, and all supporting and applicable regulations, policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates commitment to the DJO Values, Mission and Vision.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education / Experience:
- Must be a current undergraduate student and maintain student status during all 3 Co-op terms.
- Must have completed at least first two years of engineering school and maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.0.
- Working on completion of BS in Mechanical Engineering, Bio-medical Engineering with mechanical track emphasis, or equivalent.
- Extreme interest in medical devices and/or orthopedics is required.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and customers.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, sales representatives, design surgeons, or members of the business community.
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations.
- Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software; spreadsheet software; internet software; manufacturing software and contact management systems.
- Exposure and/or minimal experience in 3D CAD packages such as SolidWorks, ProE, and/or Inventor.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to manufacturing environment.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to office environment.
- Employee is expected to work in varying environments, including office setting, mechanical testing lab, and cadaver lab.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and hear.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and use hands to operate computer keyboard, and telephone.
- The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
- This position works in a typical office/manufacturing/warehouse environment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- This position works in a typical office environment.
- Perform job duties for 8 or more hours a day.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
ABOUT DJO GLOBAL
DJO Global is a leading global developer, manufacturer and distributor of high-quality medical devices that provide solutions for musculoskeletal health, vascular health and pain management. Our products address the continuum of patient care from injury prevention to rehabilitation after surgery, injury or from degenerative disease, enabling people to regain or maintain their natural motion. Our products are used by orthopedic specialists, spine surgeons, primary care physicians, pain management specialists, physical therapists, podiatrists, chiropractors, athletic trainers and other healthcare professionals. In addition, many of our medical devices and related accessories are used by athletes and patients for injury prevention and at-home physical therapy treatment. Product lines include rigid and soft orthopedic bracing, hot and cold therapy, bone growth stimulators, vascular therapy systems and compression garments, therapeutic shoes and inserts, electrical stimulators used for pain management and physical therapy products. Our surgical division offers a comprehensive suite of reconstructive joint products for the hip, knee and shoulder. Our products are marketed under a portfolio of brands including Aircast, Chattanooga, CMF, Compex, DonJoy, ProCare, Exos, Dr. Comfort, DonJoy Performance and DJO Surgical.
For additional information on the Company, please visit www.DJOglobal.com.
DJO is a growing subsidiary of diversified technology leader Colfax Corporation
EOE AA M/F/VET/Disability
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.